Author Topic: Multiple start times per day...  (Read 18253 times)

Jim

• Administrator
  • LC Green Star Commander
Multiple start times per day...
« on: May 14, 2010, 10:44:51 pm »
I sometimes receive questions about whether LawnCheck can start multiple cycles on the same day.  The answer of course is:  yes.  Because LawnCheck provides 5 independent programs and you can set up an independent schedule for each program.

I sometimes see irrigation controllers that provide only 2 programs, but claim to also offer up to 20 start times per day.  I've always wondered why anyone would provide that type of feature.  Especially given that you really only want to irrigate a residential lawn or garden once every two days, at the most (again depending on conditions).

That being said one could argue that the 20 start times provides a nice little "cycle and soak" capability.  True.  However LawnCheck also provides a one click "cycle and soak" capability for each program, so in that sense offers multiple start times per program (though you only have to specify one start time).

Any one ever find a need for 20 program starts per day for their residential lawn or garden?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 09:19:40 am by Jim »

Gangee

• LC Irrigation Master
Re: Multiple start times per day...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 11:04:15 pm »
Hey Jim,

I'm confused.  I see that you can have 5 Programs.  But how do you setup an independent schedule for each Program?
Sorry, I'll get the hang of this and then I won't bug you so much. ;)

Thanks,

Jim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 07:30:56 am »
Hi Ganjee,

Once you have defined a program, (this is done by adding a program) you can set up the schedule including start time, zone times, days of the week, and months of the year.  You can add weather control also.

To modify a program once it is added just click the Pad/Pencil icon on the schedule page.  To add new programs click the "Actions" tab.

Hope this helps,
JIm

Gangee

• LC Irrigation Master
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 08:55:21 am »
Good morning Jim,

So you can have a total of 5 Programs, right?  I think this is fine, I can make it work.  But it'd be good if each Program could also have 2 start times.  Is this possible? 

If not, maybe add this to your list.  I'm just trying to replicate what my Rainbird clock has now.

Thanks,

Jim

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 07:05:02 pm »
Hi Gangee,

Yes you can set up a total of 5 independent programs.  We think that should exceed most needs for residential irrigation, even with programs defined for seasonal use or weather specific programs.

LawnCheck supports multiple start start times under the guise of "Multi Cycle," though these are not independent start times.  Multi cycle is used to reduce the potential for run-off.

The main goals with Lawncheck are:  1 provide conservation oriented irrigation for residential use.  2.  Maintain an easy-to-use interface.  So we will take a hard look at suggestions that help maintain these objectives.

From everything that I read/hear about water conservation it seems that the experts recommend less water cycles that run longer.  So multiple start times for a program is counter to that advice.  It's possible that specialized needs exist that require multiple irrigation cycles per day, for example maybe gardens.  However it is hoped that this can be handled by the increased number (5) of independent programs offered. 

Comments invited,

Jim

Gangee

• LC Irrigation Master
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 09:41:19 pm »
Hey Jim,

Well, I'll defer to your experience.  I still haven't hooked up my wires, I'm waiting for my landscaping guy to come over and document my 8 zones.  It should be in another day or so.  I'm all about water conservation, in fact I'm all about conservation.  Here's a link to our solar install:
http://www.plumtv.com/videos/vail-a-home-harnessing-solar-power/index.html

Maybe adding more Programs is the way to go.  But I can't say, until I've had a chance to dink around with this.  I'll definitely be providing feedback. 

For me, for my yard, I plan on adding a few more zones -- to save water.  Right now, my zones cover a wide area because our yard has changed so much since we moved in.  Now it's stable.  For example I have a zone that waters my wild flowers, along with some of the native grass.  I want to separate that particular zone into 2 zones, so I can have one zone just for my wild flowers.  In other words, I end up watering grass when all I really want to do is water my wild flowers -- because that's how the zone is setup.  So I'm wasting water.  So if I can add some more zones in my yard, that should save water.

What really caught my eye and sold me on what you're doing, was that I could see right away where I'd save water.  Because, I could use software to control my zones.  Then, having up to 24 zones, 3 boxes.  I won't end up with 24, but I bet I'll end up with 12 or so.  Again, I want to break my yard up into smaller zones, to save water.

Stay tuned...